Q: Your targeted toxin data sheet gives the following instruction for disposal: “Care in disposal is mandatory; autoclaving or exposure to 1 M sodium hydroxide will inactivate the material. All labware that comes into contact with this material should be likewise treated.” I am wondering if I can deactivate saporin by using 10% bleach or if everything has to be autoclaved?
A: Yes, you can use bleach to deactivate saporin prior to disposal or reuse of labware. If you are using nanogram quantities, these are too low to be toxic, so you can discard as you do your other non-hazardous laboratory materials without fear.
Related: Targeted Toxins